Thursday, January 15, 2009

The advantages of being June Cleaver

Ok, how do you spell Cleaver? Is it Cleever? Or Cleaver? If I were more adept at the Internet, I could probably google "June Cleaver" to get it right. Oh well.
June Cleaver as in that dorky black and white TV series where June is the perfect wife and mother to Wally and Beaver. I think it was called "Leave it to Beaver." It was actually before my time so I could have titled this one The Dick Van Dyke Show as I loved watching that one and it provides a similar context for what I'm about to say.

Warning: I'm about to share some very OLD FASHIONED ideas and possibly hostile to the "women's movement."

One of the biggest changes in my life - here in New Zealand - is that I'm not working like 29 hours a day. This is due partially due to the economy...but also due to the fact I decided I wanted to take a mini mini sabbatical and really EXPERIENCE living in another country. So I maintained some client work; but didn't push it. Thus, I have about 7/8 of my day free.

And, Brent is working almost full-time.

So, I decided immediately...in all fairness...that I needed to be really supportive of his schedule. Of his energy. Of his needs. This is somewhat new for me as up until now, we've been a very modern couple with a somewhat 50/50 arrangement on all things. But as I am not working full-time...and he pretty much is...it felt "only fair" that I pick up some slack.

In practice, this involves making his breakfast...and his lunch....and dinner. And taking care of all household items. I have had to reinvent myself..more like my identity or self concept to do this. It is not difficult. In fact, I rather enjoy the care taking from a maternal aspect. But I am having to READJUST the ego. It is a type of emotional calisthenics - I know it is "good" for me...but my muscles ache a bit.

Meantime, I am finding a simple pleasure in finding out each evening if Brent liked his lunch...and getting quicker and quicker at getting the coffee and breakfast bowls ready at night.

On the one hand..these are simple, meaningless tasks. On the other hand, the footprints of transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment